Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Swallows Are Here

Last week, the swallows arrived in force.  I estimate there were about 50 of them in a 3 acre area.  Most were barn swallows but there were some tree swallows too.  They were feeding close to the ground.  Maybe because it was coll outside.  In once case, a swallow landed on the side of a house. 

Most of my time outside seems to be spent house-trainng the new puppies (See below).  However, I have this thing about trying to capture an image of a swallow in flight.  I figured with so many around, I could catch one flying towards me or away from me.  Well, I hoped.  I did get a silhouette of one flying on a cloudy day and you can even see its tail. 

Barn Swallow in Flight

The image below is one on a sunny day.  You can see the tail and some coloring under its belly.  Its a barn swallow.

Barn Swallow in a Moment of Horizontal Flight

When you are standing beneath them, you can here their chattering.  Its really quite wonderful.  This beautiful chirping all around.  You look up and there they are.  Point the camera.  Where did they go?  These birds haven't heard of straight lines.  They're incredible acrobats.  Just beautiful!

Barn Swallow    Tree Swallow

No comments:

Post a Comment