Friday, May 7, 2010

Little Man Of The Year

My first male ruby-throated hummingbird has arrived.  He's a chubby little fellow so his trip from the south must have been a rewarding one. 

I was out back to pick a rose and I heard chattering.  It took a moment for my aging brain to remember the sound, but when I did, I hurried inside and made some fresh sugar water--quick.  I also brought in and cleaned the feeder that was outside with old sugar water in it. 

I hung the fresh sugar water and went up to the deck to watch.  Then I noticed where the chattering had been coming from.  I have about 25 weigela, wine & roses, around the house and they are all in bloom.  The ruby-throats love them.  Last year, the male wooed the females in them.  The females would sit in them and watch the male making his "U" (large U-shaped patterns) above her.  Apparently, it worked for him because there were young at the feeder later in the Summer.

Anyway, here is this year's male.  It was a little dark when I heard him so the images are a bit dull.  After I looked at the images, I noticed that the blooming weigela was just behind the feeder.  By looking at the flowers, you can see why the hummingbirds find them a blessing in early Spring.  Along with the feeder and plenty of bugs.

First Male Ruby-Throat For 2010

Taking A Sip--I Heard Chattering From This Weigela

No comments:

Post a Comment