Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Upon Losing One's Best Friend

After being watched and shadowed for nearly 17 years, you get attached to your dog. Below is my dog, Ambrose, at 10 years of age. He died this Thursday, 5 weeks short of 17 years old. More of me than I thought, died with him.


As with every dog owner, I could go on and on with stories about him. However, one amuses me more than any other.

Ambrose was a people dog not a dog dog. He loved every human he met. He had no use for other dogs. As you can see from above, Ambrose was a good looking boy and he knew it. He posed for his image. Anyway, a few years back, Ambrose had his hair cut at his "salon." There was a pretty, little, female poodle there by the name of Lily. She was a miniature, like Ambrose. I was paying the bill when Lily approached Ambrose to play. Ambrose sat like a gentleman but ignored her. Lily tried to get Ambrose's attention. Ambrose, was looking good, and continued to ignore her. Lily became tired of being ignored and slapped Ambrose across the snout with her paw. Ambrose, still the gentleman, took the paw across his face and continued to ignore her. Lily walked off.

Now, if it was a human, Ambrose would treat the last human he met as his new best friend.

It will take some time for me to recover from my loss. However, I intend to return with some new bird images.

(Originally published on February 20, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment