Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Indecision

Its been raining since Sunday and I am going back to February 2008 for a few of my favorite images. That day, there was ice on the ground so I couldn't get to the feeders. Instead, I set up a little feeding station on the deck. In one little bowl I placed unshelled peanuts. I stood at the window and took these images of a bluejay deciding which peanut it wanted.

In the first image, the bluejay has sorted through the peanuts and decided on the perfect one.


It flies to the deck rail, thinks about it's decision, and looks back at the other peanuts in the bowl. Indecision takes over.


After a moment on the deck rail, the bluejay returns to the peanut bowl . . .


. . . and once again sorts through the peanuts. Finally, the bluejay finds just the right peanut. It was the one it selected before.


After is is satisfied it has the right peanut, it is ready to fly to a tree and eat it.

(Originally published on November 28, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment