Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Silly Human - Part II

Last week, my new friend, the sharp-shinned hawk, came back in search of an easy meal. Once I saw him, I walked down towards the feeding station to convince it that there were better hunting grounds elsewhere. It was raining. Its seems to have rained continuously since March. Anyway, the ground was saturated and muddy. I walked down the 13 steps to the grass and carefully put my left foot down. Whoops! I slipped and caught myself on 1 hand and 2 feet. It must have been a scary sight because the hawk was gone when I righted myself.

After accomplishing that, I walked back up the steps, stood on the deck, and looked at the feeding station. The hawk was back in the same spot. Now muddied from my fall, I walked back down the steps. I put my right foot on the grass this time. Whoops!! Again, I found myself on 1 hand and 2 feet. I looked up and my friend flew off. Apparently, my flailing about as I fell disgusted the hawk. Too much silly human for one hawk to handle. In an effort to make our lives easier, I took the feeders down and put them in the garage. I think that was Wednesday. I haven't seen the hawk since.

This morning, I can see blue skies--a rarity here. Of course, it snowed a bit last night and the mud awaits me. I'm going to try to put the feeders back up this afternoon in hope that the hawk has discovered happier hunting grounds.

Some good things happened during the overcast week. An adult bald-eagle continues to perch in the woods. Perhaps, it wants its image taken. I'll be happy to oblige it. The ring-billed gulls are back in force. I'm still alive. What more can I ask.

(Originally published on December 6, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment